King Edward Apartments
(866) 753-0234 102 N. Mill Street, Jackson, MS 39201 Official site
The original hotel on the site was known as the Confederate House, built by "Major" R.O. Edwards. After being destroyed in the Civil War, the hotel was reopened in 1867 as the Edwards House. This structure was replaced in 1923 by the present building, a 12 story beige brick structure, designed in the Beaux-Arts architecture style by New Orleans architect William Nolan. The hotel was the center of Jackson society and politics for over forty years. As of December 2006, Watkins Partners, New Orleans Saints running back Deuce McAllister and HRI Properties of New Orleans have formed a partnership to restore the King Edward. It is expected to reopen its doors in January 2010 with 186 hotel rooms, 64 luxury apartments, a signature restaurant and bar, coffee shop and 1100 square feet of retail space.